Centurion was successful in bidding on the domestic road and marine transport services for the Varanus Island Compression Project (VICP). The Client initiated the VICP to enhance the recovery of the gas reserves from the John Brookes gas field. The full project scope included:
- Additional gas turbine powered compressors, associated ancillary packages and modularised pipe racks to be installed on Varanus Island;
- Additional upgrades to accommodation modules and mess and cyclone refuge modules; and
- Upgrades to the West and East wharves.
Varanus Island is a ‘C’ Class Nature Reserve, gazetted to conserve resident flora and fauna, thereby all services provided must abide to a strict quarantine management process.
Centurion was responsible for all domestic road and marine transport services, which included:
- Supply base management in Perth and Exmouth;
- Inspection and receipting;
- Quarantine inspection and compliance;
- Road transportation; and
- Vessel loading and marine transportation.
Centurion worked with various stakeholders to propose the use of Exmouth port as the mainland supply point to provide the most cost effective solution over the alternative ports of Dampier and Onslow. This became the preferred option as a result of:
- Reduction in road transportation costs;
- Reduction in berthing costs and removal of wharf congestion issues; and
- Utilisation of local operators experienced in the oil & gas industry.
Centurion engaged the vessel ‘Lauren Hansen’, a 45m LCT suitable due to the shallow draft for ease of access into both Exmouth and Varanus Island. Through precise planning, we were able to achieve an average deck utilisation of 88% for forward sailings, exceeding the target of 80%.
SUPPLY CHAIN VISIBILITY
Centurion was able to establish a mobile OSR facility, receipting and manifesting directly within the Client SAP from our Perth Supply Base with manifesting of loads and vessels carried out remotely via the Exmouth Supply Base.
Centurion was able to enhance this initial view to a full supply chain visibility through the deployment of our robust technologies, including:
- Mobile Scanning Solutions: provision of Centurion Scanning Solutions at all supply bases / staging points to facilitate complete visibility of materials at each point throughout the supply chain between Perth and Varanus Island. Visibility points include: Perth staging, Perth storage, Exmouth staging, Exmouth storage, barge loading and island unloading.
- Online Services: user portal provided views of materials in various location “bins”. Location Bins include: Perth, Exmouth and Varanus Island.